All employment offers are contingent upon a clean background check, driving record, and must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening.
Join Our Growing Team!
We are always on the lookout for talented, remarkable people who will add value to our collaborative, full-service Utah civil engineering team. If you fit our Focus success profile, please send us your resume, regardless of whether we have an opening.
Focus Success Profile
Focus on Customer Service: Customer service is the foundation of everything we do. At the end of the day, we want our clients to know they made the correct choice in selecting us as their consultant.
Focus on Integrity: No amount of accomplishment is worth sacrificing our integrity; we are honest and fair with clients, associates, and each other.
Focus on Teamwork: We support, motivate and encourage one another, as well as our extended team of clients and associates, to become the best we can, together and individually.
Focus on Communication: Our greatest tools are quality, effective communication, and active listening. We are diligent in our interactions with clients, co-workers, and associates alike.
Field Survey Assistant Rodman
Using high accuracy instruments, construction surveyors collect and transfer data that are critical to design engineers and architects to complete precise design work and provide information for skilled workers to complete their trade work accurately. Our entry level field survey assistant/rodman/technician helps provide support for the successful completion of our projects under the direction of a field crew chief. Construction surveyors are excellent communicators, maintain professional composure under high stress, are situationally aware, have the ability to problem self effectively, are critical thinkers with "outside the box" ways to find efficient solutions to challenges, and can see the "Big Picture", which would include a long-term career path trajectory.
This important position requires incredible work ethic, endurance, hustle, critical thinking, personal initiative to learn and progress, team success mentality, and a genuine desire to provide superior service to our clients.
Required Attributes: Applicants must maintain a clean, professional appearance. Must be physically able to stand, walk, use hands, tools, reach with arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, as well as lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Applicants must have a maintain a clean motor vehicle record and should anticipate random drug testing. Crew members are expected to be dependable and available to work long hours (averaging 50+ hours per week) that may extend past 6 PM.
Hourly pay range is dependent upon relevant prior experience.
FOCUS Engineering and Surveying, LLC is hiring a talented, recognized, and driven individual to join our Transportation Department to manage and coordinate on transportation related projects. We are looking for individuals with professional standards and incredible work ethic to embrace our team mentality and thrive in our fast-paced environment. Our mission is to provide our clients with unmatched customer service, deliver our designs with timeliness and integrity, and collaborate with our clients to help them achieve their goals and a successful project. Applicants MUST have developed relationships and prior experience with Utah Department of Transportation.
- Highly motivated self-starter that will assist with the growth of our Transportation Department by servingas technical liaison with clients on project efforts and coordinates technical efforts within discipline areas.
- Knowledge of Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) projects while implementing engineering expertise for local roads, collector, and arterial streets and highways (rural and urban) projects
- Able to provide design in corridor development, right-of-way layout, drainage and utility systems, preliminary and final roadway design, preparation of construction documents and cost estimates.
- Must have the ability to build relationships with existing clients and market to new municipalities and UDOT
- Participates in project scoping and fee estimating and proposal preparation, interviews, and negotiations to the extent required
- Oversees project tasks and sees the execution of tasks are begun and completed according to schedule
- Meets with client as necessary during the term of a project to resolve issues and to obtain approvals at the project’s completion. Provides excellent client service
- Tracks internal project schedules, budgets, and scopes
- Adheres to company standards for quality assurance and quality control as defined in the quality manual.
- Eager to accept newchallenges to diversify their skills by not only performing transportation engineering work, but also construction observation, general civil design, and traffic engineering.
This position offers exciting challenges and opportunities for leading design teams, mentoring young staff engineers, and participating in professional organizations and technical committees. Finally, a successful candidate will have good interpersonal and communication skills and a passion for work.
- Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineering license in the State of Utah or able to obtain within 2 years of hire.
- 4+ years of civil engineering design related to transportation projects with interstate and roadway design experience
- Proficient in MicroStation and InRoads SS4/OpenRoads
- Proficiency with AASHTO and UDOT design methods, standards, and specifications
Civil Engineering Intern
We are looking to hire interns part-time during school year/full-time during summer. Focus Engineering and Surveying continues to grow in both market share and the full-service offerings our employees bring to our clients. We are looking for individuals with professional standards and incredible work ethic to embrace our team mentality and thrive in our fast-paced environment. Our mission is to provide not on quality, value-engineering, but also to provide our clients with unmatched customer service, deliver our designs with timeliness and integrity, and collaborate with our clients to help them achieve successful projects.
We are looking for Civil Engineering Interns who are highly motivated, quick to learn and adapt to our methodologies and standards, and be the type of individual who is looking for a long-term career with a company that is willing to invest in their successful professional development. Ideal candidates are current civil engineering degree students who wish to gain real-world experience in specific areas of civil engineering.
- Provide general CAD drafting support for licensed civil engineers and surveyors on staff.
- Will work under the direction of a Project Manager, EIT or PE to produce construction drawings and civil engineering design.
- Assist in the design of proposed infrastructure improvements to support residential and commercial development, i.e. the design of roadway, sewer, water, and storm drainage systems, as well as site grading design.
- Work with a team and carefully track all information needed to create design deliverables from initial field survey to final construction drawing package.
- Create design deliverables that meet municipal codes and requirements.
- Work within our defined QA/QC review process to ensure accuracy.
- Be our clients’ advocate to help them efficiently navigate municipality approval.
- Assist, as required, professional office staff with administrative duties, submittal preparation, delivery of submittals, etc.
- Must be a current collegiate student in an accredited civil engineering degree program
- Attention to detail, self-motivated and a team player.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet client-imposed project deadlines.
- May be required to perform administrative type duties as required; i.e., copying and collating plans and preparing/delivering submittals.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, BlueBeam, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong analytical, conceptual, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to follow company CAD drafting standards and procedures.